How To Install WordPress On Your Own Independent Web Hosting Plan
How to Setup WordPress on your server
Over 60% of total websites on the internet are based on WordPress and it is one of the best content management systems that you can find out there. When it comes to user-friendliness, you should consider using WordPress to avoid all sorts of problems that most of the beginners face.Setting up WordPress is not that difficult task. Nowadays, web hosting providers give you an opportunity of One-click WordPress installation that will allow you to land straight on the WordPress dashboard. However, if you are trying to set up WordPress on your server, then you don't have to go through any hassle. To set up WordPress on your server, you will have to follow few basic steps so you can easily set it up. Here is how you can set up WordPress on your server without facing any hassle.
Difference between WordPress.com vs. WordPress.org
If you are creating a website on WordPress.com, then you should know that it is a hosted service where you can set up a website or blog that will run on WordPress.However, the WordPress.org is where you will be able to download WordPress core, plugins and themes but you will have to use your own hosting account.Here are few differences you should know about WordPress.com and WordPress.org
- WordPress is already set up on the domain and you need to sign up for an account to create your website or a blog.
- With basic website functionality, there is a free plan but, you will have to upgrade for better features.
- No plugins uploads are allowed.
- No backend coding is allowed and no database access.
- You will get a subdomain in free plans.
- The software is completely free.
- It requires a separate web hosting account to run a WordPress website.
- You can upload your own plugins, and extend functionality.
- You can easily access the backend and make customizations.
- You can upload your own themes, free themes, and premium themes and customize your website.
- You can use your custom domain.
Importance of selecting a good host
If you're going down the (recommended) WORDPRESS.ORG route, selecting the right web hosting company for your WordPress website is extremely important. Make sure that you are looking for following things in a good web hosting service.
- Fast page loading speed.
- Flexible hosting plan options.
- 24/7 technical assistance.
- You should select the web host with strong server uptime.
- It should have the ability to scale.
- They should have a good reputation.
- They should provide you scheduled maintenance
- Security against malware attacks.
Steps to set up WordPress manually
When you are setting up WordPress manually, you will have to follow these steps:
First of all, you need to download the latest WordPress package from WordPress.org.
Once you have downloaded the WordPress package, you then need to upload the WordPress files on your server. You can use FTP (File Transfer Protocol) to upload the files in the root directory. Once you have uploaded the downloaded WordPress package on your web server through FTP, you can then move on to the next step.
At the next step, you need to create a MySQL database and user.First of all, you will have to log into cPanel. Once you are in the control panel of your web host, you need to visit Databases section and then click MySQL Database Wizard. Once you are inside the MySQL Database wizard, you need to do the following things:
- Create a database > Enter Database Name
- Create Database Users > Enter Database username and password
- Add user to the database and check all the privileges boxes
Please note the database name, username and password somewhere safe and proceed to the next step.
In the next step, you will have to configure wp-config.phpYou will have to do the following things when configuring wp-config.php file.
- Log into cPanel > Enter File Section > Click on File Manager icon.
- In File Manager, click the public_html icon to expand the folder.
- Open WordPress folder
- Locate wp-config.php file and rename the file to wp-config.php
Now you have to open the file and make the changes required:
"define('DB_NAME', 'database_name_here');/** MySQL database username */define('DB_USER', 'username_here');/** MySQL database password */define('DB_PASSWORD', 'password_here');"
You can now enter the Database name, username, and password that you have saved previously.After that, you will have to save the changes and move on to the last step.
Now you have to visit your website and the WordPress installation wizard will run. You will have to complete the installation by providing information including Site Title, Username, Password and Email address.
Founded in 2008, Aube Creative provides powerful mobile-friendly Web Design Strategy, SEO (Search Engine Optimisation) and WordPress Care solutions for Your Business in London, South East, Newcastle upon Tyne, North East, Yorkshire and throughout the UK. We've been working in the WordPress space for over ten years now. We also power EaziWP, a terrific little WordPress Video Training Course for total beginners.
FREE WORDPRESS WEBSITE SECURITY GUIDE
Are you keeping your WordPress website well protected from harm?
Download our guide to understand how to evaluate the success of your website, plus tips that will help you make improvements today!
Your website is critical to your business. Here's how to take much better care of it...
As one of the most important assets in your business, it's vital that you keep your website updated, protected and online.
If your website is offline or has a major issue, this will affect your revenue and your customers.
It's important to be vigilant in today's modern world as the average website will have automated attacks looking for weaknesses, multiple times per day.
Our free guide will help you to put together a clear plan for your website, help you understand the importance of security and give you better peace of mind.